Thursday, March 25, 2010

Never EVER thought I'd say this...

...but I have actually come to like and enjoy running. Yep, that's me, Lacey, that said that. Big surprise, huh? I wouldn't say that I love it...I don't know that I will ever love to exercise (unless it's pilates or yoga...) but I have actually enjoyed running. I started a few weeks ago with Abby. She was going and made me want to give it a go. So, I did. I did it twice, then I didn't do it for a few days then, decided I needed to do SOMETHING, especially on the days I couldn't make it to the gym. So, alas, I started to run. Over spring break, I ran about a mile every day. Those days consisted of walking in between, but I am at the point where I can run a mile straight...not fast, but I am doing it! From just about 10 days of running, I have noticed my legs to be a little firmer. Not to where I want them, but they are getting there. It's definitely an encouragement to do it again the next day. And just in case you were wondering, our new neighborhood is chalked full of some serious hills and bumpy roads, which makes for a pretty intense run. I run about a mile, then walk up two GINORMOUS hills, then finish my run home. I have really tried to focus on my stretching before and after running and today, I added in some abs and arm workouts.

A challenge I faced today while running was the wind. I swear it was going at least 20 miles an hour. Seriosuly. And I was running against it. I felt like I should have been one of those cartoon characters who runs and gets nowhere, ya know what I am talking about? It was seriously pushing against me, but I made it!

When I run I feel SO much better. It's weird, actually. I always thought I would be so miserable while running, but have found out it's quite the opposite. My attitude is 100 times better when I get exercise in, especially towards the boys. Running is good for me physically, mentally, and emotionally. For one, I am so doggone proud of myself for doing it. For two, I have seen that I can get past and enjoy something I never thought I would. For three, I get time to listen to my music without anyone around and sing, think, stir, or just breathe all to myself. It's a pretty amazing feeling. I set myself small goals to accomplish like, "If you make it to the magnolia tree, you can stop," and before I know it, I am at the magnolia tree and my feet are still going. Then, I set my next goal in much the same way. The same thing happens, and before I know it I have reached my finishing point. It's a pretty awesome feeling. It feels good to know that I have control over something and especially something that makes me feel great. SO HERE'S TO RUNNING! Who else is gonna do it? :)

Next point of business...this summer I am thinking about joining an adult swim team. They practice 3 times a week for an hour. How perfect is that? The only drawback is that practice is held from 5:45-6:45 in the MORNING. YUCK! I am totally not a morning person. I really want to do it though, so give me some encouragement people! Alisha pointed out a good point to me though, and that is to get up and go, get my exercise out of the way and then, if needed, take a nap when the boys do. Sounds pretty easy, right? Right. I know it won't seem so easy at 5:15 during those summer mornings...because I don't even wake up that early for work...but, I have talked myself into it...80% of the way. I want to do it. I am going to do it.

7 comments:

Lacey said...

You go, girl! And I totally want you to join the swim team so I can come and cheer you on.

Lisha said...

is this my little sister?!! ;) you are inspiring, keep it up.

Quincy Sorensen said...

You are AWESOME! Running can be pretty addictive. It really is a super way to start the day. The only better way to start the day is to swim! I totally think you should do the swim team. The pros outweigh the cons for sure. Proud of you.

kaitlan said...

Way to go Lace! I wish I had the determination to do what you're doing. I'm trying to get my body into better shape since I had Conner but it's hard to get motivated! Go for the swim team! It sounds like you're thing for sure.

danakat said...

Way to go, Lacey!!! I tried running last summer and surprised myself at enjoying it too! Then I had a small medical setback, but I really REALLY want to get back at it. So THANK YOU for motivating me!
Good luck on your goals. You can do it!! And I'm totally agreeing with you joining the swim team. I mean, what's a Haynie without swimming?? Right?

4 Kids, 1 Me said...

Good for you, Lace!!!! I used to run when the kids were little and they would ride their bikes along with me. I really loved that endorphin rush from running! Now I'm doing Zumba and Pilates pretty regularly and I love that too...I'm hoping to get back into running this summer (we'll see...I'm OLD now and it HURTS to run ;) ). Keep it up, girl! :)

Carly A said...

WOw I am seriously impressed. I need to get your motivation. I can understand how nice it would be to be able to listen to music and move your body to it. I've been craving that lately. I think you should join the swim team. It's only 3 days a week...