Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hawaiin Haystacks

Today we had one of my all time favorite dinners that mom makes. They are called Hawaiian Haystacks. Now, if you've never had them they may seem a little weird, but don't judge them till ya try 'em! Here's the recipe: (they really aren't hard at all.)

Heat and mix together:
2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Chicken Broth
2 cups cooked chicken.
4 cups cooked long grain rice (Do not include this is your chicken gravy...just cook this seperately. It will be the first thing you put on your plate to start your Haystack!)

Toppings:
3 medium tomatoes dices
1 cup shopped celery
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup green onions
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 cup mandarin oranges
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup coconut
9 oz. chow mein noodles
Soy Sauce (if you like it---i personally like spicy things so I put Tiger Sauce on my Hawaiian Haystacks and it gives them a little kick...yumm!)
It's supposed to serve 8, but it just really depends on how much of each thing you wanna top your haystack with...so adjust as needed!

What you do is get your rice and then top it with your chicken gravy. Then, pile on the toppings however you want! I typically put my cheese on first (on top of my chicken gravy) then, just put whatever else on. I really like everything on mine. It gives it a yummy sweet and salty taste!



Also, for dessert today, Mom made a delicious key lime pie!

4 comments:

danakat said...

You're killing me with all the food posts PLUS picture. I may have to take a break from checking in on you once I start in on my resolutions. You'll be too tempting to stick to a diet...

Lisha said...

Ohhh, yum. I need to make these just to indulge myself... who cares if Nate'll eat or not! :)

Stefanie H said...

I love Hawiaan Haystacks! The Hess' introduced me to them. Except we don't use onions or coconut or peppers or celery lol. We are some picky people.

Fig said...

Hawaiian haystacks were a staple special occasion dinner from my childhood too! I need to make some one of these days . . . and lime pie is double yum. I love food posts!